What are the Benefits of Gardenia Plant?
Gardenia plants are members of the Rubiaceae plant family and are native to some parts of Asia and the Pacific Islands, including China and Japan. Today, ethanol extract of gardenia fruits and flowers are used in herbal medicine and aromatherapy in many ways. There are more than 250 different types of gardenia plants called Gardenia jasminoides Ellis of the type used to make the essential essential oil.
The most common type of extract used for medical purposes is gardenia essential oil, which has many uses, such as fighting infections and tumors. It is also used to make lotions, perfumes, body wash and many other topical treatments thanks to its strong and “seductive” floral fragrance and ability to promote relaxation.
Benefits and Uses of Gardenia Plant
Some of the many uses of Gardenia plants and essential oils derived from these plants are:
- Gardenia Flowers are Used to Combat Inflammatory Diseases
Gardenia essential oil contains many antioxidants that fight free radical damage, as well as two compounds called genipocytes and genipins, which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects. It has been found that it can help reduce high cholesterol, insulin resistance / glucose intolerance and liver damage, as well as potential protection against diabetes, heart disease and liver disease.
- Gardenia Flowers and Essential Oil Can Reduce Depression and Anxiety
It is known that the smell of Gardenia flowers promotes relaxation and reduces tension in humans. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, gardenia is included in aromatherapy and herbal formulas used to treat mood disorders, including depression, anxiety, and restlessness. A research by Nanjing University (located in China) in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) of the gardenia extract (or Gardenia jasminoides species). He found that he had rapid antidepressant effects by rapidly increasing his expression. The "emotional center" of the brain. The antidepressant response started approximately two hours after administration.
- Gardenia Fights Infections and Protects Wounds
Gardenia contains many natural antibacterial, antioxidant and antiviral compounds. To fight colds, respiratory / sinus infections, and congestion, you can inhale gardenia essential oil, apply it topically to your chest or try to mix it with a diffuser.
A small amount of essential oil can be mixed with a carrier oil and applied to the skin to fight infection and promote healing. Mix the oil only with coconut oil and apply it on wounds, scratches, abrasions, bruises or cuts. (Note: It is recommended to dilute this kind of essential oils first)
- Gardenia Plant Helps Protect Memory
A study published in the Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines found that gardenia extract helped improve memory among people with old memory deficits, especially those with Alzheimer's disease. In the study, the two main components found in gardenia extracts, geniposide and gardenoside seem to have helped suppress the expression of immune-related genes in the brain, which means they have anti-inflammatory effects that address the underlying mechanisms of memory deficits.When Using Gardenia Capsules and Essential Oil. Be careful
Potential side effects associated with the use of Gardenia capsules or essential oil may include loss of appetite, diarrhea or loose stools, skin irritation and inflammation.
- Gardenia Helps Combat Obesity
Some studies have found evidence that gardenia jasminoid (a type of gardenia flower) can be effective in reducing obesity, especially when combined with exercise and healthy eating. In a 2014 study published in the Journal of Exercise Nutrition and Biochemistry, based in America, they stated that “Geniposide, which is one of the main components of Gardenia jasminoides, is known to be effective in preventing abnormal lipid levels, high insulin levels, impaired glucose as well as body weight gain”.
- Gardenia Helps Soothe Digestive System
It has been discovered that substances isolated from Gardenia jasminoides, including ursolic acid and genipin, have acid-neutralizing properties that protect against antigastritic activities, antioxidant activities and a number of gastrointestinal problems. For example, research at Duksung Women's University Plant Resources Research Institute in South Korea, published in Food and Chemical Toxicology, has found that genipin and ursolic acid may be useful in the treatment and / or prevention of gastritis, acid reflux, ulcers.
Genipin has also been shown to assist in digesting fats by increasing the production of certain enzymes. In addition, according to the research conducted at Nanjing Agricultural University Food Science and Technology and Electron Laboratory, it was concluded that the gardenia plant supports other digestive processes even in a gastrointestinal environment with an "imbalanced" pH balance.
- Gardenia Herb Reduces Fatigue and Pain
Gardenia extract is used to combat a variety of pain and discomfort, including PMS, arthritis, sprains and muscle cramps. It also has some stimulating qualities that can help raise your mood and improve cognition. It has been found that circulation can be improved, inflammation can be reduced and helps provide more oxygen and nutrients to parts of the body that need recovery. For this reason, it is traditionally recommended for people who fight chronic pain, fatigue and various diseases. An animal study from the Spinal Surgery II Division of Weifang People's Hospital and the Department of Neurology in China confirms its pain-reducing effects. When the researchers applied ozone and gardenoside, a compound in gardenia fruits, "the results showed that treatment with a combination of ozone and gardenoside increases the mechanical withdrawal threshold and thermal withdrawal delay, thereby reducing pain." They used the expression.
- Gardenia oil, which is very beneficial in terms of skin care, is applied to the body by massaging it, tightens the body, reduces wrinkles and ensures the disappearance of cellulites.
- Gardenia, which is recommended to be used in diseases related to blood, is one-to-one to stop external bleeding.
- Gardenia, which is recommended to be used for people with reflux disease, is also good for bronchial dilation.
- It speeds up the circulatory system and helps the cells in our body get more oxygen.
- In addition to these benefits, Gardenia is also used in swelling, burns, throat infections and tumor treatment.
- It has an auxiliary effect in combating urinary tract and bladder infections.
- This plant can be used in cases where there is a risk related to insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, obesity and diabetes and heart disease.
- It is a plant used as an aid to treatment when acid reflux, vomiting, gas IBS and other digestive problems are seen.
- He has an assisting role in dealing with depression and anxiety situations.
- It is a preferred plant type in cases of fatigue and inability to concentrate.
- It is used as an aid to treatments to get rid of abscesses.
- It has a role to help reduce muscle spasms.
- It helps to drop fire.
- It is a preferred plant in order to relieve menstrual pain.
- It helps reduce the pain of people with headaches.
- It has an auxiliary effect to raise low libido levels.
- It has an effect on increasing my milk production, which is insufficient in lactating women.
- Slow healing wounds have an effect to increase the speed of healing from infections.
- It has an adjunct to treatment in diseases such as liver damage, liver disease and jaundice.
Usage Areas of Gardenia Plant
With the emergence of the benefits provided by the Gardenia plant, our country seems to be very popular with grandfather as in the world. It seems that this bikini has been consumed in a variety of ways. The usage areas of gardenia plant in the world are as follows;
- Making tea from the leaves is one of the most used areas of gardenia plant. Gardenia tea It is said to be very helpful for irritability, chest tightness and insomnia. In addition, gardenia tea is also considered as an intensely preferred type of tea in anxiety disorders. In this sense, the same ways are preferred with other herbal teas in making tea. The leaves of the Gardenia plant can be made both wet and dried. 2 cups per day seem to be enough to be effective. After this pine is brewed, it must be consumed before it cools.
- Another use of the gardenia plant is to obtain the oil. Also in candles with its beautiful scent gardenia oil it seems that it is used quite intensely, the smell of gardenia oil draws attention with its calming feature. It is seen that the oil of this plant has started to be used recently in making perfumes. It seems that the absorption of this oil with the help of hot water is very beneficial for cleaning the sinuses.
- In addition, the roots and leaves of gardenia are used in boiling and purification of the body, just like in the past.
* Image by endro lewa from Pixabay